Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How much notice do I need to give to order a skip?

A: If your skip is not going on the public highway, then as little as a days notice is required.  If it is going on the highway then you will need to order a maximum of 48 hours before the required delivery date to enable us to arrange a road permit with the Local Council.

Q: Why do I need a skip permit?

A: Your Local Council charge the permit fee for skips to be placed on a public highway, grass verge or pavement.  Their local inspectors check that it is a suitable and safe place to have a skip.  Sometimes permits are refused by councils if you have requested it in a hazardous area or at a time of year such as Christmas or New Year when the skip may cause a danger to pedestrians.

We are not allowed to place skips on double/single yellow lines.

Q: How long can I keep the skip for?

A: We like our skips to be collected or exchange within 14days, if you require it for longer please let us know it is not normally a problem.

Q: What am I allowed to put in a skip?

A: You are not permitted to put the following items in a skip.  Asbestos, fridge/freezers, food waste, car batteries, tyres, gas cylinders, paint tins (empty or full), fluorescent tubes, liquids, TV sets, or PC monitors.

Q: What is a level load?

A: Skips must NOT be overloaded. Not only can this prove a problem in picking up the skip, it also poses a hazard to motorists and pedestrians, and is highly illegal. The correct way of loading is for the waste inside not to exceed the top of the walls of the skip, particularly if the waste is predominately brick and rubble. For health and safety reasons, Marshallsea reserve the right to refuse collection if it is deemed unsuitable for transit.

Skip hire FAQS button | frequently asked questions about skip hire
Marshallsea skip hire environmental policy